Launched in 2017, Microsoft 365 is a bundle of existing Microsoft products under one license. The name is similar to the previous version, i.e. Office 365. However, both are separate, and have different features and capabilities.
In other words, Microsoft 365 and Office 365 are different with some overlaps. Both products help organizations make a digital shift.
Before we dive deeper into the differences between the two, let us see what these products are all about.
What Is Office 365?
Office 365 is a cloud-based suite of apps and services. It includes apps such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Office 365 offers a monthly, per-user subscription. You can choose from a plethora of Office 365 plans depending on your requirements.
These plans give you access to the following services and apps:
- Skype for Business
What Is Microsoft 365?
Microsoft 365 is a bouquet of services that also consists of Office 365. Further, it includes Windows 10 Pro Upgrade or Windows 10 Enterprise , has machine learning capabilities, and provides Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS).
You can access various features and products of Microsoft 365 depending on the version you select.
Let us see what’s included in Microsoft Office 365.
- Office 365 (Business Premium or Enterprise F1, E3 or E5)
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft Advanced Threat Analytics
- Identity and Threat Protection
- Information Protection and Compliance
- Office 365 Advanced Threat Protection (E5 only)
- Windows 10 Pro Upgrade or Windows 10 Enterprise
- Azure Active Directory
- Azure Information Protection
- Azure Advanced Threat Protection
What Is the Difference between Microsoft 365 and Office 365?
Here is a comparative analysis of both these products to know the difference.
Office 365 keeps your important business data highly secure. Based on the plan you choose, it offers you a plethora of inbuilt security features.
These features include data loss prevention, encrypted email, advanced threat analytics, mobile device management, multi-factor authentication, and threat management.
Microsoft 365, on the other hand, goes a step ahead of Office 365 by offering advanced security features. It has the data operating system functionality of Office 365 along with Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS). With Voltek’s unique approach of setting up Microsoft 365 you can have a peace of mind in regards to security.
EMS is an important feature of Microsoft 365. It allows users to:
- Make use of identity-driven security to gain control over access to Microsoft cloud apps
- Maintain enterprise-level security by managing mobile devices and apps
- Discover, segment, and analyze critical data across various devices, services, and data centers
Office 365 for small businesses is apt (needs correction) if they are not planning to scale anytime soon. Large businesses who are more focused on dealing with critical data and security should choose Microsoft 365.
Teamwork is essential for the smooth functioning of any business.
Office 365 provides real-time collaboration through co-authoring. This feature allows multiple users to work together on the same version of a document.
Microsoft 365 includes Office 365’s extensive collaborative features such as Microsoft Teams, OneDrive, and SharePoint. This allows employees to collaborate smoothly through customized solutions.
You can use Office 365 at the basic level. However, for improved teamwork and content sharing, opting for Microsoft 365’s collaboration functionalities are better. You can rely on Voltek for setting up your Microsoft 365 in a way that provides you with a seamless collaboration experience.
3. Plans and Features
Here is a quick look at the various features offered by both.
Office 365 Plans and Features
a. Office 365 Business
Office 365 business has all the Microsoft office tools. It also provides smooth collaboration and cloud storage. It is packed with the following features and applications:
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, OneDrive, OneNote, and Access
- Online file storage and sharing
- Microsoft Office suite on all devices
- Office Online
- Consistent updates
- Instant and easy deployment
- Active directory integration
- Maximum of 300 users
Office 365 Business is further divided into three categories.
i. Office 365 Business Essentials
It helps businesses create a hub to connect their teams with Microsoft Teams. It also enables them to host online meetings and video conferencing with up to 250 users.
ii. Office 365 Business
It gives organizations the capability to store and share files with 1 TB of OneDrive cloud storage per user. It provides access to fully installed Office apps on five mobile devices, tablets, and PCs. It also provides round the clock phone and web support.
iii. Office 365 Premium
It has all the features of Office 365 Business. The additional feature includes allowing businesses to host email with a 50GB mailbox and custom email domain.
b. Office 365 Enterprise
The features of Office 365 Enterprise are similar to those of Office 365 Business. The only difference is that the Enterprise version gives access to Office apps for an unlimited number of users.
Office 365 Enterprise gives you the following options to choose from:
- Office 365 Enterprise E1: It improves business productivity by integrating apps like Excel and Outlook with cloud services such as OneDrive and Microsoft Teams.
- Office 365 Enterprise E3: It protects company information through message encryption and rights management. It also facilitates legal compliance and email archiving with mailbox hold and eDiscovery.
- Office 365 Enterprise E5: It enables call control in the cloud with Microsoft Teams and Skype for Business Online. It even allows businesses to conduct or call into meetings from their phone through audio conferencing.
- Office 365 Enterprise F1: It gives first-line workers (such as store managers, field technicians, and product line workers) access to services such as email, office online browser, videos for viewing, and SharePoint Online to increase their productivity.
Microsoft 365 Plans and Features
a. Microsoft 365 Business
It includes the following features:
- Maximum of 300 users
- Microsoft Office suite
- File storage
- Email and calendaring
- Data protection control
- Windows 10 Pro
- Cyber threat protection
- Fast administration and deployment
- Round the clock phone and online support
b. Microsoft 365 Enterprise
Microsoft 365 Enterprise is used by businesses to empower and connect their employees.
There are a plethora of plans to choose under Microsoft 365 Enterprise:
- Microsoft 365 E3: It incorporates Office apps, email, calendar, schedule and task management, chat-based workspaces, app management, as well as social and intranet functionalities.
- Microsoft 365 E5: It has all the features of Microsoft 365 E3. It also has features such as voice calls, video and meetings, information protection, threat protection, identity and access management, advanced compliance, and analytics.
- Microsoft 365 F1: Microsoft 365 F1 boosts the productivity of first-line workers by connecting them with the right apps and tools. These apps and tools include Microsoft teams, SharePoint Online Plan 1, Yammer Enterprise, and read-only access to Office files through Office for the Web and Office Mobile.
- Microsoft Office 365 Non-Profits: Microsoft Office 365 for nonprofits provides Microsoft 365 features to non-profits at discounted rates. This plan offers email, cloud file storage and sharing, web conferencing with IM, audio, and HD video.
The above-mentioned comparison will give you an idea about what both these Microsoft products have to offer. Ultimately, every business is different and has different needs. Whether you choose Office 365 or go for Microsoft 365, your decision should eventually depend on your business objectives and infrastructure.
Once you know which Microsoft product you want to opt, you can leave the rest on Voltek. With our best in class technology and innovative approach, we can get any of these Microsoft products set up for you instantly.